HRDC has Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites and offers free tax preparation and filing for Federal and State income tax returns January - April. If you had earned income, you may be eligible for an EARNED INCOME TAX CREDIT (EITC); you also may qualify for other tax credits including the Child Tax Credit. HRDC’s trained staff will ensure all eligible households receive this credit while preparing their tax returns for FREE!!!
Don't be talked into "rapid refund loans". These will eat away at the money that should be going into your pocket. Let HRDC’s IRS certified staff prepare your tax returns at no cost to you.
When you go to file your taxes, you must have the following documents:
- Photo ID
- Social Security cards for all persons being listed on the return
- All W-2s and 1099s and any other documents received for income received the previous year
- If you obtained Health Insurance through the Marketplace we must have your 1095A form
- If you or anyone you are claiming on your tax return had a lapse of health insurance during 2014, you must contact the Marketplace 1-855-288-3667 to see if you qualify for any exemptions before we can prepare you taxes.
- If claiming child care costs, the child care providers name, address and tax ID number.
- Previous year’s tax return
- If filing as ‘married, filing jointly’, both parties need to be present.
HRDC FREE TAX PREPARATION - CALL FOR AN APPOINTMENT - 301-783-1800
Walk-ins are taken on space available basis
Tuesday & Thursday 6 pm - 9 pm; Saturday 10 am - 2 pm
Department of Social Services, 1 Frederick St. 2nd Floor, Cumberland
Tuesdays 6 pm - 9 pm and the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month 10 am - 2 pm
George’s Creek Senior Center, 7 Hanekamp St., Lonaconing
Thursdays 6 pm - 9 pm and the 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month 10 am - 2 pm
Westernport Senior Center, 33 Main St., Westernport
Tuesdays 6 pm - 8 pm; 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month 10 am - 4 pm
The School House Kitchen- 19210 Opessa St, Oldtown
Wednesdays 6 pm - 9 pm; 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month 10 am - 4 pm
Billie’s Gas and Grub, 21514 National Pike, Flintstone
Mondays APPOINTMENT ONLY 10 am - 4 pm
Department of Social Services-, 1 Frederick St. 2nd Floor, Cumberland